Dora B. Woodyard Memorial Library
Elizabeth, WV 26143
Breanna King, Director
July 1, 2018—June 30, 2021
A. Mission Statement
The mission of the Dora B. Woodyard Memorial Library is to enable all patrons to be lifelong learners. We strive to make available a wide variety of materials and services to meet the needs of the community and of Wirt County High School.
1. Maintain and expand computer access to all patrons.
2. Increase technology skill levels in staff and patrons.
3. Provide better training opportunities in the use of references sources.
C. Current Technology
- 7 public use, 1 OPAC, 1 circulation desk, and 2 office computers (all new in Fall 2018 besides OPAC)
- 1 Copy/Print/Fax machine
- 2 scanners
- Innovative Millennium Automation System
- Cisco Series Router
- 1 T1 Line
- 3 Printers
- 2 TVs
- 1 VCR/DVD Player
- 1 Laminator
- 2 Sewing Machines
- 2 Cricut Machines
- 1 Heat press
- 1 Projector
- 3 Sphero EDU SPRK+ Robots
- 1 3D Printer
- Kodak EasyShare C875 Digital Camera
- Ultra Flip Camera
D. Future Technology
1. Add and/or replace computers every five years depending on need.
2. Continue to use the copier as the printer and fax machine.
3. Utilize future library commission online databases for library and remote use.
4. Replace the laminator.
5. Purchase a laptop or iPad to use with Cricut machines.
- Add a new laminator by June 2021.
- Currently using copier as printer.
- Add a laptop or iPad by June 2021.
We will use monies from our general fund to purchase computer equipment. We will make attempts to utilize grant funds if necessary/available for technology needs to keep up with the 21st century demands for community growth.
G. Education and Training
- We will take advantage of seminars provided by the WVLC for training.
- Library director will take part in and encourage other employees to take part in online webinars and professional growth opportunities through WVLC, ALA, and other entities.
- We will work to provide up-to-date and helpful information on the library website for user friendly access.
- Students at Wirt County High School will be trained in the use of EBSCO and other databases as will our other patrons.
- We will utilize students at the high school to help with one on one computer training for patrons.
- Information literacy will become a major component to the classroom connections from the library. Teachers will be encouraged to utilize the library resources to improve student information literacy skills.
- We will utilize the social media accounts to also serve as a way to educate and demonstrate to adolescents how to properly create a digital footprint and build a positive presence online.
- An overall goal is to improve public access to information from within and outside the walls of the library.
- We will hold public training sessions on technology needs such as basic computer usage and information literacy searches, WV Reads e-books, Talking Books, EBSCO, and other needed areas.
- We will utilize the social media accounts to create a 24/7 community connection to the library. The community should always know about programs being offered, items being added, and other library news to build overall enthusiasm for their public library.
H. Technology Integration
Most of the technology mentioned in this plan has already been integrated into the library setting. Our biggest problem remains finding space and furniture for our new equipment.
I. Evaluation Process
- We will determine the success of this plan’s goals by doing statistical counts of how much the equipment is used.
- We will also assess patron comments about the computers and their usefulness.
- We will ask patrons about the usefulness of the online resources we provide and check their usefulness for students doing research papers.
- We will evaluate the plan annually and update it every three years.
Adapted by the Dora B. Woodyard Memorial Library Board of Trustees
Board President: _____________________________________